25th September. A Bit of Brown.


Being the cautious listing type that I am these days I thought it best to wait on news for the Shrike. Fortunately Filby's Magic Box sprung in to life at 7:15 and informed me of the birds presence so in a rather laid back manner we set off at 8am. We arrived at Flamborough at 9:30 and immediately picked up this fine bird perched a top a distant hedge. Unfortunately no pies were available so the celebrations of my first lifer this year were some what muted.

Prints available on request!!


Mean while on Shetland the shit was well and truly hitting the fan. A call to Rob revealed his whereabouts as "stuck on Fair Isle" - there's worse places. However A Sykes Warbler at Sumburgh Farm was quite frustrating for the poor lad - so much so that he couldn't be arsed to have a look at what would have been his 3rd Siberian Thrush (Git) but consoled himself in finding another Arctic Warbler.

Back at work for 1:30 meant I could keep on the right side of my very understanding manager. Though the same cannot be said for my ex who questioned the logic of taking Beth to see a Brown Shrike (she was off school with a nasty cough), for fu**s sake it's a Brown Shrike what more need I say?? For the record Beth ticked Red-backed Shrike after Brown - way to go!! Hopefully more of the same tomorrow as I'm off all day.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too enjoy a bird or too but im sure i haven't stooped as low as to take my kids away with me on one of these jaunts, especially when they are off school sick. Im thinking of starting another hobby as im not liking the dweebs thats i keep bumping into on these trips to the coast

Mark said...

Don't worry about it. It was a lovely sunny day and the sea air will have done her good. It's good to spend good quality time with Beth and actually see that she's enjoying herself. Not sure I'm stooping low I consider myself lucky that my daughter has so much enthusiasm for my hobby. Some men in my situation don't get quite so much time with their kids and some of them truly don't deserve time with them. You pays your money and you takes your choice!

Anonymous said...

Tremendous photo! Please post it on Surfbirds to annoy folk.

The Leicester Llama said...

I wondered why the Shetland website hadn't been updated for a couple of days. Should have guessed the big twitcher would have gone to Fair Isle!

seppy said...

hey mark - congrats on getting a worse photo of the brown shrike than the mckinney - respect! hope for more quality snaps of pies & rares from de north soon!

Anonymous said...

Looks like gary bagnall has out monkeyed you on the shite photo front...

The Leicester Llama said...

No, I think Mark's is marginally worse - the bush is almost in focus in Garry's photo!

That Brown Shrike must have been a real disappointment, other than just as an 'unblocking' tick. From all the photos I've seen it must have been miles away! The Whalsay one was much more obliging.

Mark said...

Actually Andy the views were pretty good, though not as good as the Whalsay bird, it sat out in the open for much of the time I was there and was resplendent in the bright sunshine.