1st November. Playback

Finally got the opportunity to spend a day out birding and decided to check a couple of local spots. Pit-house West showed some promise with good number of Goldcrest among several large Long-tailed Tit flocks. This prompted me to do a spot of naughty tape luring, which worked well bringing the Long-tailed Tits and Goldcrests close but no other scarcer phyloscs. Walking down towards the Chinese Bridge I heard the distinctive call of a Yellow-browed Warbler. I excitedly started to scan the surrounding trees before hearing a less familiar call - an Arctic Warbler! At this point It dawned on me that the MP3 player in my pocket had sprung to life - that'll teach me.

Other than a calling Warter Rail there was very little else at PHW I decided to pay one of my now less than weekly visits to RV where a couple of Dunlin and two Pintail were on the Reserve. Fortunately all was not lost as I had earlier purchased a couple of steak and ale pies from Morrisons which I scoffed - hmm pies.

2 comments:

The Leicester Llama said...

Dangerous things, MP3 players. Anyone birding on the end of Rutland Water's Hambleton Peninsula this morning would have been surprised to hear not just Yellow-browed, but also Pallas's and Hume's Warblers calling frequently.

But of course there wasn't anyone else around, as most people have got more sense than to look in trees in Leicestershire in November...

The Drunkbirder said...

I seem to have a Cetti's in my pocket too!