28th January. January Challenge Update

With just three days left of the month things have got pretty tight at the top. Rather suspiciously things have gone rather quiet during the last few days. Fortunately I have the rest of the week off and plan an assault on the top two though my chances of beating Mr Garner seem unlikely as he's secretly working on splitting the Common Crossbill into at least five species that only he can separate.
I scored heavily over the weekend with a tipped off Ruff at RV, a self re-found Firecrest at PHW and at last a Willow Tit. Sadly as I was obliged to tip off the others the former two lost all meaning - rules is rules.
Saturday afternoon brought Andy and me level until he obligingly found me a Dipper and was looking in the wrong direction when the Hen Harrier flew in. Sunday was mostly a no birding day but a text from Pete had me back at Aldwarke for a Chiffchaff which put Pete in the awkward position of lending me his bins to get it on my list. Three Shelducks on Orgreave late afternoon led to a severe rubbishing of the RV bird - which was met with some hostilities and accusations of suppression.

The coming weekend will prove interesting.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Its an hard life Mark, get that new Camera clicking.