9th February. Of unknown origin.


My first full days birding for too long started off with a visit to nearby Ulley Country Park for the two Scaup that have been present for a while. Both birds (male and 1st yr/female) were among a small group of Tufted Ducks off the bridge. Whiston Meadows held just 45 Wigeon and 4 Shoveler.

A brief stop at my mum's for refreshments was interrupted by a pager message of a Night Heron near Penistone. Not the most exciting of birds and possibly of dubious origins it was still tempting. A male Peregrine over the M1, presumably on its way back to the cooling towers at Meadowhall was a brief distraction from driving! The Night Heron was visible from the car park at Scout Dyke and was typically dull, though apparently the first twitchable one in the Barnsley area.
Mid-afternoon I visited Pit-house West and saw bugger all except for a flock of 27 Meadow Pipits and a Red Admiral butterfly basking in the Mediterranean style weather, which no doubt also produced the Night Heron!
Following a two hour trudge round PHW I was torn between returning home for some crispy duck or going to Steetley for a Ferruginous Duck, both coincidently of unknown origin. Unfortunately despite an array of sat' nav', street maps and atlas I not only failed to see the bird I actually failed to find the village - DOH!!

Returning home I had better luck locating the crispy duck as it was still in the fridge and showing well - at least until I'd eaten it! Lunch was spoilt by a call from Andy D' who informed me that the Kumlien's Gull had just dropped on to Broomhead Res'. A quick law abiding dash and I managed to get there with enough light to get some very poor video footage to go with the very bad photos from earlier in the day. Also there an hyperactive Little Gull.

No comments: